Why I am a librarian
Why I am a librarian
Over the years (35 to be exact) and on numerous occasions, my friends have asked me, “Exactly why are you a librarian?” Or, as my brother Charles so eloquently put it a few weeks ago, “You sure get all riled up about that library stuff!”
On the long drive home from Windsor through Southern Michigan to Central Illinois, I started thinking about why I am a librarian. I came up with 100 reasons, but the Reader’s Digest version includes:
- From sheiks to preschoolers, from mushers to poets, the variety of people you meet as a librarian is nothing short of amazing.
- Librarianship has a grand and wonderful purpose. We support the freedom to read, lifelong learning, literacy, and fun. I continually am gratified that I make a real difference in people’s lives as they search for jobs, write a book, text message a reference question, or look after their family. Our work as librarians is important and relevant, and I like being a part of that grand mission.
- I get bored easily; my husband will gladly tell you I have the attention span of a gnat! So, librarianship really suits my personality, as it’s always changing. If you are the type of person who likes structure and knowing where the goal posts are, then librarianship may not be your calling!! We often live by the seat of our pants!
- Librarianship is portable. In small towns or bustling cities, from Abu Dhabi to Iqaluit; from Prince Albert to Peoria, there always is a library that needs help.
- Librarianship is inclusive. There is room for everyone in library science, we welcome and celebrate our diversities. I am proud to be a generalist!
- The intoxicating smell of new books. Need I say more?
- But, best of all, it is the people with whom I get to share my day. It is the library workers who are skilled, innovative, inquisitive and most of all passionate about helping folks. It is their sense of adventure, their love of reading, and their sense of humor that makes them the very best people to work with!!!
So Charles, (who is about seven in the photo) for all these reasons and 93 more, I still love being a librarian!
kpope #31 September 2009